Thursday 3 July 2014

Essential English Grammar in use unit-2

In unit-1 I have discussed how am/is/are use as positive and negative in a sentence .In unit-2, I will discuss how am/is/are is used as questions.

Unit-2:am/is/are(Questions)

Positive:

I am
he/she/it is
we/you/they are
Question:
am I?
is he?/she?/it?
are we?/you?/they?

Examples:
  • 'Am I late?' 'No,You're on time'.
  • 'Is your sister at home?' 'No,she's out'.
  • 'Are your parents at home?' 'No,they're out'.
  • 'Is it cold today?' 'Yes,a little'.
  • 'Your shoes are nice?' 'are they new?'.
Wrong:Is at home your brother?
Right:Is your brother at home?

Another uses of am/is/are :

where...?/What...?/Who...?/How...?/Why...?
  • 'Where is your brother?' 'Is he at home?'.
  • 'Where are you from?' 'Bangladesh'.
  • 'What color is your mobile phone?' 'It's black'.
  • How are your grand father?Is he well?
  • These pens are nice.How much are they?.
  • This apartment isn't very good .Why is it so expensive?.
We use what's = what is; who's = who is; how's = How is ; where's = where is
  • What's the time?
  • Who's that man?
  • How's your mother?
  • Wher's Dany?
Giving short answers: Yes, I am. No, I am not. Yes, he/she/it is. No, he/she/it isn't. Yes we/you/they are. No, we/you/they aren't. Examples:
  • 'Are you tired?' Yes, I'm
  • Are you hungry? No, I'm not,but I'm thirsty.
  • Is your friend American? No, he isn't.
  • Are these your pencils? Yes, they are.
  • That's my seat. No,it isn't
Exercises: Find the wright answer from the questions bellow:
A. My younger brother. B.Australia. C.No,I'm not. D.Yes,You are. E.Black. F.No,it's yellow G.In your bag. H.No,he's from India. I.Very well
  1. Where is the pen drive?
  2. Is your mobile black?
  3. Is David from Canada?
  4. Am I late?
  5. Where's Tom from?
  6. What color is your bag?
  7. Are you hungry?
  8. How is Paul?
  9. Who's that man?

Make questions with these words:

  1. is/at home /your father.........................?Answer:Is your father at home?
  2. your/parents are/well...........................?
  3. interesting/your job............................?
  4. the shops/are/open today........................?
  5. from/where/you/are..............................?
  6. interested in cricket/you/are...................?
  7. is/near here/the rail station...................?
  8. you/are/late/why................................?
  9. / that/is/Who/man...............................?
Complete the sentences .Use What.../Who..../Where......./How.......
  1. .............. your parents?
  2. ...............the airport?
  3. ...............your bag?
  4. ...............your favourite sports?
  5. ...............the man in this photograph?
Write short answers(Yes,I am./No. he isn't. etc)
  1. Are you married?.........................Answer:No,I'm not.
  2. Are you thirsty?.........................
  3. Is it dark now?..........................
  4. Are you a doctor?........................
  5. Is it cold today?........................

1 comment: